Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kits Bring "Toys"

Lovey and Neddy have known that I am ill - I don't usually lay in bed, getting up only to go to the bathroom. They have cuddled with me. They have groomed me. When I occasionally groaned or moaned the first two days, they replied with a calming burble. Tuesday, the kits decided I had laid abed long enough. In a period of 150 minutes, they brought me 3 young chipmunks, 5 field mice of various sizes and colors, and 6 young ground squirrels. All were alive and well, and all escaped the apartment alive and well - except a couple of the ground squirrels had shortened tails. Their escapades certainly brought me more into the land of the living!
I know that I had a fever of 103.2 at one time; and I guess that's when I had my hallucinations, or maybe they were just very real dreams.... I had an odd feeling that late Saturday night/ Sunday morning, there were about 100 little field mice outside my window on the grass, and they were all holding a tiny, lit candle. They were chanting, "Be better, Betty! Be better, Betty!", and when I looked to the right of them there were a bunch of squirrels and chipmunks rubbing their eyes with their hands. - Talk about maudlin!
I've gotten up and showered the past few days, which is a distinct improvement; and today I was out of cat food, so I had to walk down to the store and renew the kits' supplies. And I got more Gatorade for myself, too. I graduated to a peanut butter sandwich for lunch today, and am currently snacking on some thinly sliced mild cheddar cheese. I'll be happy when I feel better and can eat (and drink) things that aren't quite so bland.
And, having been pretty limp, I've turned on the TV and just watched. I had forgotten about the proliferation of political ads right now. There were 17 political ads in the first 14 minutes of the local news today - and all of them were negative. Yuck! At least the Denver Mayor running for Governor refuses to use negative ads. His ads are refreshing and silly; but they definitely make their point. I don't know if other states' news shows do a "Truth Test", as they do here, but I really rather enjoy watching each ads' statements being looked at for content. The investigator will state, "this is true," "this is simply not true," and my favorite, "this statement is not based on any economic reality." Today's issue of The Boulder Daily Camera endorsed my choice of gubernatorial candidate, and ended with this follow-up about his opponents: "This gubernatorial race will surely be on the memory of every party leader in Colorado for years -- maybe decades -- to come. The Republican candidate Dan Maes is wholly unfit to lead the state, ethically challenged and conspiracy minded. A vote siphon from the right, Tom Tancredo, is a one-trick anti-illegal immigrant pony with no solid ideas for the state, other than to play the same tune a lot of people are attempting these days: Dissatisfied with Washington? Vote for me!" - Yup, it's campaign time in Colorado!

No comments: