Sunday, October 31, 2010

Steampunk

The Boulder Dome Fire is almost completely contained; almost 200 acres have burned, but there was no loss of life nor were any structures destroyed. All evacuees have returned home.
I just had to smile, as Tim Tebow made a touchdown for the Broncos in Wembley Stadium in London, putting Denver ahead of the 49ers. Go orange and blue! Gators and Broncos!

I was looking at costumes on-line yesterday, and was intrigued by the Steampunk section. I actually had to look the term "Steampunk" up, and was not greatly surprised by the results, having taken a good look at the costumes. "Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s. Specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain—that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; in other words, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne or real technologies like the computer but developed earlier in an alternate history. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" for such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage's Analytical engine." I think my brother-in-law, niece and nephew would look fantastic in Steampunk costumes - I'm not sure about Kathy and I - we're almost too buxom for the look.
And some of the costumes make me think of the Borg in Victorian and/or Edwardian dress - it's really very interesting....

The kits and I were awakened by the barking of a dog in the apartment above us this morning - that was a surprise. It's cool out, with sun and high cirrus clouds, and I spent a good part of the morning out in the back yard with the kits. Since it is Halloween, they are not going out of my sight today or tonight. Since the kits have been inside and asleep for the past two hours, I closed the patio door, and I think I'll take a nap after this game is over. I was to have a follow-up visit with Dr. Zishka yesterday or today, but she called me yesterday afternoon and asked me to see her Tuesday morning instead. That's OK by me, as it is the last day of my vacation. On Wednesday, I begin taking care of all the other critters once more... Have a Happy Halloween! May all your treats be tasty, and I hope you don't receive any (or many) tricks!

No comments: