Saturday, October 9, 2010

What a View!

Driving from the house in Brighton to visit my kits this morning, I was struck by how beautiful the view was as I headed west. We have had the first snowfall on the Front Range peaks, and combined with the colors of fall, the view was spectacular! Here on the plains and in the valleys, we've had a couple of rip-roaring thunder and lightning storms, accompanied by a little rain. We're expecting rain again tomorrow and a high of 60, while snow will again fall above 9,000 feet. It's currently sunny, 61, and breezy. We might not reach 60 degrees on Tuesday.... Fall is here!
The cats in Brighton are a blast - Abby, Shadow, Boris, Natasha. and Honeybun - Abby usually stays in the basement, but since seeing me Tuesday evening, she's been spending most of her time upstairs with me. Shadow believes that anything anyone eats should be consumed by him, and not the other entity. Boris thinks he runs the house and is in charge of security; his litter mate Natasha is a little princess who is always scheming on how to get outside. Honeybun is a big, laid-back girl, who thinks she should always be in my room with no other critters anywhere near her. Thankfully, the owners took Charlie, the toy poodle, aged 13, and Lilly, the new young mini-Cocker Spaniel with them. So I have only Nikki, the German Short-haired Pointer, and Kohlbi, Suki's grandson, to deal with. And they are plenty. Both pull like locomotives when we walk twice a day. Kohlbi is overweight, so someone suggested that the owners feed him green beans with his regular food to act as a filler and roughage. That works a little too well - he's had diarrhea since I've arrived, so I'm washing his bottom multiple times each day - Arctic White shampoo and a blow dryer have become my constant companions. Nikki hasn't given me any trouble until last night, when I heard a squishy sound coming from her head area. Since Kohlbi was sucking on and chewing her ears, I thought it was him at first. Then I realized Nikki's jaw was working - she was eating the end of one of those hard rubber Kong toys, so I had to remove it from use.
My kits are having a ball outside, bouncing around in the wind, chasing leaves, and then running back to me, calling at the tops of their voices, yelling, "Momma! Momma!" Both kits have their new elasticized collars on, with their ID tags that list their names on one side, and my phone number and the word "Reward" on the other. Since I found Lovey on the Boulder Creek Path, the kits have had to get used to wearing ID - because I simply do not want to lose them. I love them too much; but I also realize they need room to run, which patently is not available in a 500 square-foot apartment. Have a super weekend!

No comments: