Monday, January 31, 2011

Cold!

The forecasters got it pretty much right today - the temperature has dropped 5 degrees since I got up this morning; and it's snowing lightly. It was 19 degrees out when I crawled out of bed, and it's now 13. Lovey is sitting in the middle of my desk, watching this text appear on monitor, and trying to catch each new letter. Nedi had a blast trying to catch snow flakes earlier, but, of course, as soon as I got my camera out, he stopped. Right now, he's curled up on top of the cat tree, watching the snow softly drift down, and then blow up against the sliding glass door. Lovey is now in my lap, purring. When I first awoke, at 6, I glanced out the window, and while I couldn't see snow falling (I didn't have my glasses on), I could see that the edge of the patio was wet, so I assumed the precipitation had begun. Today's local newspaper says that freezing drizzle was the original fall, that then turned into snow. I don't know.
The Holy Bull Stakes race was run yesterday in Florida; it is usually considered the beginning of the races leading up to the Kentucky Derby and the Triple Crown. Nick Zito decided to run a three-year-old colt named Dialed In, who had only raced once before, but had won. The son of Mineshaft won impressively in his second start, defeating several colts with much more racing experience. It looks like Nick has a barn to keep an eye on this spring....

No comments: