Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sun, Snow, Miesque, Keith O.

It's a little after noon in Boulder - when I left the apartment this morning, the sun was shining in the east, mist was clinging to the Flatirons, and a cold wind was blowing light snow from the west. When I returned home, the sun was shining, but the clouds were building up behind Flagstaff Mountain, the Flatirons, and the Continental Divide. I've had the patio door open so Lovey and Nedi can run out and play a bit before we get the accumulating snow we're expecting this afternoon. I took care of Ooch this morning, then walked Tessa and played with Lilly, Lyra and Dhisana. As I was heading home, Darcie caught me and gave me the remainders of Lizzie's treats, so that I can share them with the other dogs I still care for. - Miesque, the first two-time winner of a Breeders’ Cup race and the dam of top sire Kingmambo, was euthanized Jan. 20 at the Oak Tree Division of Lane’s End Farm in Central Kentucky due to the infirmities of age. The daughter of Nureyev, out of Pasadoble by Prove Out, was 27. She was buried in the Lane’s End/Oak Tree Division cemetery. Bred and raced by the Niarchos family's Flaxman Holdings and trained by Francois Boutin, Miesque won nine championships in three countries during her career. The mare won 12 of her 16 career starts, including 10 group/grade I stakes, and earned $2,070,163. Her victory in the 1988 Breeders’ Cup Mile made her the first horse to win consecutive runnings of a Breeders’ Cup World Championship race.
And I still feel like a fish out of water from Keith Olbermann's announcement that last night was the last episode of Countdown to be aired. According to a TMZ.com writer, NBC and Comcast both felt that Keith would be "a loose cannon" on the air and finalized an agreement with Keith's agent just before Countdown aired last night. TMZ.com says that Keith has agreed not to appear on broadcast TV for a specific time period, but that he will soon appear "on the internet." All I know is that I will miss Mr. Olbermann's insightful comments, his wonderfully astute, acute and acerbic Special Comments, and his "Worst Person in the World" segments. I feel as if I have lost a good friend in an auto accident... this has knocked the stuffing out of me.

No comments: