Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cougar on Buffalo Campus

I don't have internet access while I'm at Lynn's, so I'll be checking my e-mails and doing my blog and catching up on all my news sites just once a day until the 18th.  I had a blast with the girls last night - Tessa, Dhisana, Lilly and Lyra were all in fine fettle and we played and chased and acted the fool for quite a few hours.  I walked Rosie and Remy this morning, but Remy started favoring his hip a block away from the house, so I took the red kids to visit with Tessa.  Tessa  and Rosie chased each other in circles around the back yard, while Remy stayed sitting or lying down for most of the time.  If I had internet access at Lynn's, I'd just take Lovey and Nedi over there and we'd all stay together happily - but I need my PC time these days, too. 

There was a Winter Weather Advisory on the Western Slope last night - anywhere over 9,000 feet got between 3 and 18 inches of snow.  We got down to 50 degrees - but we actually have a cooling trend going: today's high is supposed to be 68, tomorrow's 62, Saturday the high will be 48 with rain all day, and then 56 on Sunday.  It'll be nice, if it's correct.  And Coffeepot is supposed to pick up Mocha on Sunday, between noon and one.  She is currently crouched in the patio door way, and Lovey and Nedi are sunning on the concrete.  The kits have all had 15 minutes of individual attention, and once I take care of my e-mail, I'll need to head back to Lynn's.  I love her house, I love her critters, I love her yard.  I miss being home with my kits, though.  Maybe I'll take them over once Mocha is gone....

The big story around here is that a 2-year-old male mountain lion was spotted yesterday in a tree next to one of the CU dorms.  College kids clambered around, being noisy, and taking lots of photos and videos with their cell phones.  The young man who first sighted the big cat, and called the Division of Wildlife, said the cat looked petrified with fear, because he was drawing so much attention.   The cougar was tranquilized, fitted with a radio collar, and turned loose on the farthest Boulder County Open Space lands (40 miles and several mountains away to the west). He was estimated to be two-years-old, and his spine length (not counting the tail) was four feet.  This is the time of year when male youngsters leave their mom to establish their own hunting territory, and they frequently end up on the west side of Boulder and the CU campus.

No comments: