Thursday, October 13, 2011

Duh! Apples, Plus Gravity, Can Hurt

Yesterday afternoon, I was once again watching Dhisana and Lyra climbing about in the apple tree.  I was sitting on the stone bench, looking almost straight up.  The kits were moving to another limb, and I was focused on the two of them.  Boy, am I stupid....  A large apple (they are red delicious apples, by the way) fell from one of the top branches and struck my forehead above my right eye.  While I was rubbing my forehead, and still stupidly looking up, another apple came down and landed on my upper lip.  Being me, of course my front teeth cut into my lip, but not all the way through (thank goodness!).  So I had a lump on my forehead and a bloody mouth because I was watching young cats climb a tree.   Sheeesh!  I looked like I had been in a fist fight last night, because I had this swollen bruised lump on my forehead, and a swollen bruised mouth (that still occasionally decides to bleed a bit).  - It should've happened on the afternoon of Halloween!

Last Saturday, Chincoteague held it's 39th annual Oyster Festival; it was again sold out 10 days before the actual event.   ....  And on that day, the Museum of Chincoteague Island, which opened on April 9 of this year, had it's 10,000th visitor.   ..... This Saturday, October 15, is the annual Chili and Chowder Cook-off  held behind Don's Seafood and in the new downtown City Park.  ....  I am also looking forward to the release of a new documentary, made by actor and director Hamilton Meadows.  We all know that folks from Chincoteague, Tangier, and Smith Islands speak differently, and have a lot of ancient words in their vocabulary.  In the PBS series, The Story of English, it was reported that these islands speak a preserved form of Elizabethan English - and having investigated several of my Mother's everyday words, I have to concur.  In any event, "Speak the Speech, I Pray Thee..." is a documentary about Old English and word usage; much of it was filmed on Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay.  I know that it is to be released soon, but I don't know exactly when.  However, one can view several clips from the documentary at:  http://www.hamiltonmeadowsfilms.com/ .

My kits seem to realize that Mocha is gone.  They are much more relaxed and Nedi is getting more demonstrative each day.  Lovey still talks up a blue streak, runs in and out, and generally has a blast.  Nedi wants love and assurance, and a sunny spot to bask in.  ....   Tessa is a funny girl - she bounds about the yard like a gazelle, and jumped over both Rosie and Remy this morning in the back yard.  I am going to take Lovey and Nedi over to the house tomorrow, after lunch.  Tazi, the house cleaner, will be there Friday morning, and she runs through the house, vacuuming and mopping, watering plants, dusting everything, doing laundry - although I do my own, when I'm there.  Lilly doesn't like Tazi because Tazi operates the vacuum, and she thinks the vacuum will suck her up, no matter where she hides.  So I figure I'll take my kits over after Tazi has left, and they can have four afternoons of playing in the huge back yard at Lynn's.

No comments: