Thursday, February 23, 2012

Can't Prove It By Me...

Supposedly, we reached a high in the low 60s yesterday - but you can't prove it by me.  The wind became more blustery yesterday afternoon and evening than it was yesterday morning.  We had several recorded gusts of 88 mph, plus one of 93 mph last night.  The wind tore apart signage, knocked down trees, and took down power lines.  Several business trucks, shaped like the Fed-Ex and UPS trucks, were overturned and blown across the highways, as were the 18-wheel big rigs.  I was walking in the wind yesterday afternoon, and I needed my hat (tied under my chin) and my polartec fleece jacket.  Even with those I was cold when the wind was blowing...  The downed power lines caused two fires yesterday afternoon and evening.  Luckily, the fire companies were able to contain the blazes rather quickly; the one near IBM on the Diagonal Highway burnt about 15 acres of grassland, and the one near Lyons, in Stone Creek Canyon, burned over 50 acres - and 1300 homes had to be evacuated.  It was an interesting evening.  Jim said that their power had been out for several hours yesterday afternoon.  Mine went out sometime after midnight, and the power wasn't restored until 5:45 this morning.  During that time, the temperature dropped into the 20s and we got 3 inches of snow.  The kits and I were all snug and warm in our bed.  I know when the power came back on because my telephone suddenly clicked, and a male voice announced, "Answer on."
  The other day I referred to my Russian friend as Viti - it's actually VT.  His name is Vakhtang Kvartskhava, and I am happy to say that he takes his job as Security seriously.  While we were speaking yesterday, he broke off to go knock on the door of an RV that had parked in a far corner of the parking lot.  I didn't go too near, but I heard him say, "OK - but no more than two hours."  We resumed our walk back to my apartment.  As we arrived, the same RV pulled up into the apartment parking lot.  I laughed and told VT that our building guy would make him leave when he arrived at 9.  As I walked into the building, a scuzzy-looking man got out of the RV and followed me to the front door.  (I didn't know it, but VT had stopped and was watching him, because (he said) he just felt weird vibes from the guy.)  In any event, when I left to walk Remy and Rosie yesterday, the RV wasn't there, so I forgot about it.  This morning, VT told me that he followed me into the building, but came back out very quickly, with a woman chasing him.  VT hung around the corner to see what was going on.  The woman apparently called the police, and as soon as the RV driver saw their car, he drove back over to the shopping center parking lot.  Then he got out of the RV, left it parked, and walked back to my apartment building.  For some reason, the police ended up arresting him.  VT flagged them down, and asked about the RV.  The police said it wasn't their problem.  The problem was that there was a German Shepherd inside the RV, so VT had to call Animal Control and help them remove the dog before he could get it towed.  Then, as the RV was getting hooked up, a scrawny guy crawled out of one of the cabinets and asked VT for money, since he no longer had a place to stay....  In way way, I wish I could have seen it all, and, at the same time, I'm happy I didn't see it.
  So.  We're expecting a high of 32 today, and snow flurries continue to fall.  Longmont got a bare dusting of snow, while Denver has gotten over 6 inches of it.  Then we're supposed to warm up again until Sunday, when there's a chance for more snow.   ....   We'll see.

No comments: