Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dogs, Hearts and Brains, and Rawhide

Thursday afternoon, a retired military man heard the sounds of dogs growling and fighting in his back yard.  He was surprised, as he has a 6-foot high fence to keep his German Shepherd, Max, in.  When he stepped out, a pit bull and a boxer were inside the yard, attacking Max. The man went, out, yelling, and managed to drag Max back inside the house.  He had his wife begin to call the neighbors to warn them, because the dogs and leapt the fence once Max was inside.  The man hurried to the front door and saw a woman walking two small dogs on the sidewalk.  He yelled a warning, but at the same time the two larger dogs attacked.  The smaller dogs slipped their collars and ran.  The boxer and pit bull attacked the woman.  The man grabbed his Smith & Wesson, and went to help the lady.  The pit bull immediately attacked him, and he killed it; then the boxer turned on him, he shot at it, but missed, and the dog ran.  The man has scratches; the woman had several bites that needed to be treated; her two small dogs were found, and one was treated at the vet's for bite injuries; Max had some scratches.  The boxer was caught, and the female owner is now facing felony charges for allowing violent dogs to roam.
  I read with sorrow a follow-up story on Dutch Prince Johan Friso, who was caught in an avalanche in Austria.  The original story did not carry the news that the Prince's heart had been stopped for 50 minutes prior to his resuscitation.  He is brain dead, and will never recover consciousness.  That is a horrible thing.  My husband stopped breathing at 5:23 a.m.; I performed CPR until the ambulance arrived 5 minutes later.  Then the EMTs did their thing - they shocked him several times, and kept up the CPR and bagging until he arrived at the hospital nearly 30 minutes later.  When I arrived, I was put into a mini-waiting room.  About 8 a.m., the MDs came to me and told me Jeff was dead.  Then they went on to say that almost an hour after his arrival, they had managed to re-start his heart, but it stopped again within 5 minutes.  I was aghast.  Having been without blood circulation for at least 90 minutes, Jeff's brain would have been gone.  If his heart had managed to continue beating, he would have been a body on life support, with absolutely no mind.  I am still upset when I think of it.  The one thing that neither he nor I wanted/want is to be in a vegetative state.  I feel for the Dutch Royal Family, and the hard decisions that will now have to be made by them.
  It's 30 degrees and sunny out - both kits have been laying on the patio, soaking up the rays.  Speedy Taco, my visitor of last Sunday, is still missing.  Rawhide is back on TV, and as soon as Lovey heard the introductory music, she shot back inside and is curled up on the sofa, watching the TV.  I wonder what it is that makes her want to watch every episode?  In the past week, I was introduced to Rowdy's supposedly dead father, and to Pete Nolan's adopted Cheyenne family.  And in one episode, Pete (Sheb Wooley, aka Ben Colder) actually sang several songs.  I've had a blast watching this series lately.

No comments: