Friday, October 5, 2012

Snow!

This morning, I was surprised to see white stuff falling out of the sky when I awoke. I expected our first snow tonight or tomorrow morning, but we got 1/4 inch of the cold stuff this morning. I have to say that I don't remember another time that I was so happy I could just go back to bed and sleep some more (I wasn't due to walk the Rs until 10 a.m.). That's just what I did, I curled back up with Lovey and Nedi and slept for another two hours, surrounded by purr-fect stereo. Even while walking the Rs today, small flakes occasionally fell upon us even as trees dripped snow melt. At least it wasn't a true over-night cold spell: we had a high of 83 degrees Wednesday and 51 yesterday. It was 30 degrees at 8 this morning, and right now, it's all of 39, with the humidity at 65%, so it definitely feels chilly! Luckily, too, the apartment management turned on the boiler Tuesday, so we could have heat "if necessary" early this month. When I catch the bus at 7:30 tomorrow morning to go feed Peach, you can bet that I'll have my water-proof snow boots on!
   The swelling of Lovey's face has diminished considerably, but she is still just a little puffy under her eyes. Nedi wants to go out, but as soon as he does, he runs right back inside because several apartments are being vacated and/or moved into, with some new folks piling heir stuff on their patios - which means it will be wet and frozen in the morning, if the snow comes as predicted. And it looks like snow right now...
   I need to go care for Peach this evening, letting her in and out and making sure she gets her meds tonight, so I'll probably take the late 205 bus home; which means I need to take a flashlight with me, so I can "blink" at the bus driver. The 205 stop has no lighting, and the bus can (and has, in the past) blow right by a person. If I start playing the light around my feet, as the bus turns onto US 36, the driver will see it, and be able to pull over for me... Otherwise, it'll be a 3.5 mile walk home in the dark and the cold, and the possible snow (which I really don't want to do).
   I'll see my friend Patrick tomorrow morning, but I have to remember that we're "friendly enemies" for the day, as the LSU Tigers and the Gators play at 1:30. - And, Brett is back at the bakery! Today was his first day back at this location, and he said he'd had hundreds of people tell him how much they missed him this morning He was overwhelmed by his support from us patrons. Too bad I can't eat his pastries any longer...

No comments: