Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ten Days Until the Chincoteague Pony Swim

Right now, I wish I was on either Chincoteague or Assateague.  There are ten days to go before the annual Pony Swim, when the "wild" ponies on Assateague are rounded up and then swim across the Assateague Channel to Chincoteague.  Once ashore, they rest, and are then herded along Beebe Road to Main Street and then to the Carnival Grounds.  The following day, Thursday, the foals (and usually, a few yearlings) are auctioned off to the highest bidder.  I might miss it this year and the next year, but I'll be there in 2015 and 2016;  2015 will be the 90th Annual Round-Up, Swim and Auction, and I'll be 60 for the 2016 edition.  I plan on being there both years, no matter what.  The ponies, mares, stallions and foals are thoroughly checked by the on-call veterinarian for the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company before the swim across the channel - any one horse or foal that the vet deems too young, too old, or not in good enough health, is trucked over the bridge to the Carnival Grounds.
  I want to be there.

No comments: