Sunday, September 29, 2013

Odds And Ends of Thoughts

I was amazed that I actually got a lot of cleaning done yesterday - I watched the Gamecocks, the Gators, and the Buckeyes play and win, and I listened to the Buffs lose.  But I also sorted through a bunch of things, and sent a lot of stuff to recycling, and had a huge pile of donations for the local ARC, Thrift, and Humane Society shops.  It felt good.  It was also chilly all day, and the kits and I spent a lot of time cuddling.  Lovey has been behaving herself, so I was a bit upset to have to call her in this morning because she was raising Cain on the neighbor's patio.  Her tail looked like a black-bristled bottle brush, instead of the normal black and white striped sea snake.  And while I was trying to take my meds this morning, Nedi came onto the desk and laid down on top of all 5 pills.  When he finally left, after a lot of petting and chin scratching and loving, he managed to take the two Aleve capsules with him... so I had to chase him down and pull them out of his fur.  As much as I love my kits, I didn't take those two capsules - they went into the trash, since there was so much black fur stuck to them.
  My nephew and niece are enjoying their honeymoon in Ireland, and have traveled from Dublin to Cork, where they both kissed the Blarney Stone.  Personally, I'd like to kiss the Blarney Stone, also - but I somehow don't think that it's really necessary, in my case.  I'm missing horses, so I've been looking for local shows to attend, but the closest ones are in Parker, and that's a bit far.  I was very excited to see that the Grand National and World Championship Morgan Horse Show was being held in Oklahoma City - I had looked up the weeks' events on their website calendar.  I found that the Show was taking place about a mile from my hotel, so I really got revved up...  Then I realized that the opening day of the show was the day after I depart the City.  I felt crushed - but there is still so much to see and do, that I could stay busy for 3 weeks, without seeing everything worthwhile.
  The flood clean up is still going apace here in Colorado and Boulder - at Crest View Elementary School, two blocks south of the Waldorf Pre-School and Kindergarten, people have been working around the clock for the past two weeks. Crest View had 90% of the school buildings flood, at four different times and at varying levels, during the high waters.  It's been amazing to watch the pros go in and clean up the mess. Also, the street my sister and brother-in-law live on, Topaz Drive, was a top priority in the county for repairs.  (I think it had to do with the natural gas line, that had been buried 4 to 6 feet below the road, being exposed by the flood waters.)  This past Thursday, there was a constant stream of trucks full of gravel and fill dirt pulling onto the street and dumping their loads.  While Topaz Drive is still missing an asphalt pavement, it is driveable once more. I wrote a letter of thanks, on Friday, to the County Transportation Department and the County Commissioners for their rapid and appreciated actions.

No comments: