Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Typical Spring Day

I awoke at 5, as usual, this morning.  I took care of my kits, took care of myself, and took a wonderful walk before most Boulderites were out and moving.  There was a light fog, more haze, really, and the temperature was in the mid-50s.  Walking through my apartment area, and then along the Boulder Creek path, I saw several raccoons, a red fox, two mule deer and a large number of squirrels.  Birds were awakening, and their songs filled the air, and soothed my soul.  I stopped counting after I reached twenty different types of birds that I saw this morning.  On my way back, I saw chipmunks and some early morning joggers with their dogs.  It was a great way to start a good day, especially as my kits and I are well.
   After taking care of all of my morning business at home, I went to walk Rosie.  I was early in arriving at the bus station, and I was going to go inside and chat with my friend, Joe Rivera, when I saw that Geary Jr was driving my usual route.  I got on and flirted outrageously with the young man until my normal stop - then I told him to tell his father that I had been flirting with him.  Geary laughed, made a very stern face, and said that his father "would be coming after" me.  I love Geary's dad dearly, but haven't seen him in several months. At least I found out what routes and days his dad is driving, so I can go pester him, too.
  I arrived at Rosie's a little early for our walk, but kept myself occupied by watching a hummingbird feed on a large patch of purple-flowered ground cover for over ten minutes.  I only saw the back of the bird, so I'm not sure which type of hummer it was, or whether it was a male or female.  This little bird was slightly larger than a big moth, but its wings were a constant blur of motion.  Hummingbirds flying abilities have always amazed me - to be able to hover, and move up and down like a helicopter, rather than the straight flight of other birds just leaves my mouth gaping in awe.  Once I took Rosie out, it seemed that the squirrels were quite brazen in tempting her to chase them; and I was very happy that we met six new dogs and she never barked or growled.
   And, just being silly, and since today just felt so good, I bought two lottery tickets - the estimated jackpot is $149 million.  If I win, I'll be setting up a few scholarships and making a lot of donations to charitable organizations.  (And, eventually, I hope, moving back to Chincoteague - where I'll be happy to sponsor local TNR programs.)

No comments: