Sunday, May 25, 2014

Another Four-Bed-Companions Night

Well, the storms held off last night until 8 pm, but then they certainly made the house and the sky-lights shake.  I had baked strawberry cobbler for myself and Shirley, taking it out of the oven at 5...  And the dogs were dancing with delight, believing that I would share with them.  They got a dog biscuit each.  Shirley didn't eat much of her dinner, so just before the storm system arrived, I took her a small serving of the cobbler.  She scraped her saucer clean.  This morning I heated up a much larger serving for her breakfast, and she scraped that bowl clean.  The nursing people who visit her daily say that, at her age (96), it doesn't matter what she eats - calories are calories.  So, since she likes cobblers, I'll continue making them for her while I'm there.
   I went to bed at ten, and had to clear the bed of critters three times before I could insert myself and start reading my book.  I ended up with a dog on either side of me, Tipsi at my feet, and Pounce on my chest/shoulder/neck area.  The library didn't have anything new by any of my favorite authors in, so I grabbed two new authors, and two favorite authors, who had books that I didn't recognize.  The first new authors' book was a mystery set in Paris during the Revolution (1797); I finished it yesterday evening.  I took another new mystery to bed - this one is also set in Paris, but in 1818, during the Restoration, following the downfall of Napolean.  Reading these two books, back to back, is a neat experience - I keep looking back and forth between the two, looking at forms of address (Citizen/Monsieur), and place names, which can't quite be erased and changed entirely.
   Tomorrow the Bolder Boulder will be run, and other than the Skip route, going north and south on Broadway, and a few connector buses to Denver and the Airport, the bus system will be shut down.  I'll be walking  a mile and a half to Broadway, and then walking a mile back to my apartment tomorrow.  And I told Rosie's owners that I'd walk her tomorrow, also...  Not to mention the two walks a day for Cooper and Lola.  Nicodemus, the tri-color Jack Russell terrier next to Cooper and Lola, has a new brother - a seven-year-old Jack Russell that is almost completely white.  He's a rescue dog from Iowa and was kept in a cage in a basement for his entire life.  His name is Emmitt, and he's a sweetie.
  And one of the colts that was expected to run in the Belmont Stakes, Intense Holiday, was vanned off the track after a gallop yesterday morning.  He has a condylar fracture of  a foreleg, and is expected to recover and return to racing, after the break heals.  People at Belmont Park seemed amazed that an opossum, walking across the main track, did not disturb California Chrome during his gallop.  The trainer said that they see coyotes frequently on the track in California, so the opossum wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

No comments: