Saturday, May 31, 2014

Coyotes, Boulder Creek, and Neighbors

  It was cloudy this morning, then bight and sunny until 3 this afternoon; now it cloudy and thundering again.  Yesterday I visited the Boulder library to get some new books to read, as I was leaving, I caught a flash of water from the corner of my eye, so I walked across the parking lot to Boulder Creek.  The water was up over the banks on either side.  I went home and looked a the Creek at the south end of my apartment building...  While it will take a rise of four feet to approach my building, the pathway beside the Creek, which is an underpass walk-and bike-way, was under water and closed.  I suppose that since one could see the water flowing across the concrete path, quite a few folks felt that the the "Closed - No Trespassing" sign did not apply to them.  In the 10 minutes I was beside the Creek, I saw 6 bicyclists and 10 people on foot ignore the signage, walk around the edges of the barrier, and use the "Closed" path.  At that point in time, the water speed was running at 8 times its usual speed - over 800,000 cubic feet per minute.  When I went into my apartment, took care of the cats, and turned on my PC, I found that all of Boulder County was under a Flash Flood watch until 9 p.m.  I'm sure that if someone had accidentally slipped into the Creek at the Folsom underpass, they would have wanted to sue either the City or the County for their act of stupidity.
   We are, once again, under a Flash Flood warning, and will probably be under the warning for most of the hours between now and 4 July.  Tubing is now banned on the St. Vrain River, joining Boulder Creek, Clear Creek and the Cache le Poudre River.  We also had  small wildfire yesterday afternoon in Lefthand Canyon; fire fighters had it contained within 3 hours.
      I had a very nice chat with a new neighbor this morning - I met Meredith and her dog, Izzy.  Izzy is a trained service dog, and she is extremely well mannered.  She finds my cats fascinating, but doesn't chase them, and, if the cats come inside, she stops at the door.  Lovey pretty much ignores her (Izzy), but Nedi hasn't made his decision about her yet.  In any event,  we had a very nice introductory conversation, and the two of them met the three of us.  Only Nedi has any reservations about either of them.  ....  Britta, her dog Boulder, her cat Baby, and her four parakeets have moved out, but according to the maintenance men, the place is a wreck.  I don't want to hear what they'll think of Nancy's place when she moves out by 5 June...  The air inside her place takes my breath away, between the litter boxes, her refrigerator, and her burning of different herbs and incense.   At least the two guys dealing drugs in 101 have also moved away.  I hope the other new neighbors are also nice, quiet, and don't deal.
    I had fallen asleep last night before midnight, but awoke with a start.  I was trying to decide why I had woken up, when I heard the chorus again - 5 coyotes here in the cul-de-sac.  Five of the six houses here have dogs, and one place leaves their dogs in the back yard during the night.  The coyotes were congregating at the end of the driveway where the outside, over-night dogs live.  The song was eerie, but familiar.  What amazed me was that none of the dogs in the cul-de-sac, inside or out, barked or howled.  Not Lola, not Cooper, not the two Jack Russell terriers on one side, or the Bovier des Flandres on the other side.  I had expected our domesticated buddies to bark at the coyotes - but they were silent.   I wonder why.  Is the quiet a tribute to their "wild" cousins?  Do the dogs realize it's a pack that's crying, and they say silent for safety?  Cooper and Lola were both abused dogs, and are "rescue" pets; they bark at anyone and everyone they first encounter.  If I open the front door and allow them to run out, loose, they do so barking and running.  They don't bark if on a leash, even though they do try to hurry down the front steps.  When other dogs bark in neighboring yards during the day or night, Lola and Cooper run outside and join in the bark fest.  Do the coyotes frighten them?  Or do they respect their wild counterparts?  Why no barking at the coyotes?  I'm stumped.

No comments: