Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Amazing - It's Snowing In Colorado

We got about fives inches of snow yesterday, and the forecasters say we'll get another five inches today.  The weather folks are saying our high today might be 8 degrees - it's currently 3 degrees and the wind chill is listed as -8.  A thin layer of ice is underneath all the snow, so the roads and sidewalks are very slippery.  I decided that I needed to step out, having stayed inside all of yesterday, so I stepped onto the patio and put out more high-fat nuts for the squirrels and birds, and placed the large bowl of wild bird seed mix at the snow line on the concrete.  The bowl has a light covering of snow already, but the birds are also coming in and getting some food in the constantly falling snow.  The snow itself is very light and dry - not enough moisture to make a good snow man, snow cat, or any type of snow sculpture - and it crunches when stepped on.  The weather folks say our low tonight will be about 10 degrees below 0.
   I also bundled up - undies, winter leggings, sweatpants, jeans, T-shirt, turtleneck, cotton sweater, and winter coat - and walked the block to the bakery and grocery store.  My glasses fogged immediately when I stepped out the door - and even though I had my scarf firmly wrapped about my nose, mouth, chin and neck, they stayed fogged until I wiped them off inside the shop.  I got myself a nice, warm blueberry whole wheat bagel, a bag of treats for the kits, a pouch of special treat food for the kits, and a can of chicken noodle soup.
   Nedi is disappointed because I won't let him go out and play for more than 5 minutes at a time in this weather.  Lovey will run out and step into the snow, but then she wants right back inside.  Nedi wants to hunker down beside a wall and see if he can catch anything that might happen to pass by.  Thankfully, the mice and voles are staying in their holes and tunnels - but I did check the inside of my snow boots very carefully this morning, before I stuck my feet in.  (When Nedi's upset with me, he goes and gets into one of his three "hidey-holes" in the closet, where I can't find him easily.  Lovey just curls up on the bed and ignores me.) We'll warm up a bit next week.... I hope.

No comments: