Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Vote Today! - And Mail-In Ballots

I liked the idea of mail-in ballots when I moved here, 10 years ago, and I still like them - except for one thing: once you do vote, there is no way to stop the telephone calls, e-mails, and television advertisements urging one to vote for or against a certain measure or candidate.  I mailed my ballot in, and the County office received it on 22 October.  The national voting day is tomorrow, 4 November, and the ads, calls, e-mails and bombast will reach new heights until it's time for the polls to close.  I am very glad that we have major elections every two years only - I would not be able to put up with this mess year-in and year-out.  I receive 30 to 65 e-mails each day asking for campaign contributions; I receive, on average, 6 to 10 telephone calls each day, even though I am on the "National Do Not Call List;" and I can't watch any program on commercial television without being bombarded by campaign advertisements - "Vote for so-and-so,"  "Don't vote for so-and-so," "Vote for this measure," and "Don't vote for that measure."
   I read what people running for office have to say.  I watch debates and moderated question and answer sessions.  I listen to any political advertisement the first time I see it; and I watch local television stations subject these ads to "the truth test."  I read editorials regarding the candidates and their views, as well as editorials regarding amendments and proposals.  My county sends out a booklet to all registered voters, telling them what is on the ballot.  This booklet does not list candidates for office, but it does give one the text of proposals and amendments to laws, and also prints comments, both for and against, each item.
   I try to make an informed decision when I vote.  The information is out there for anyone who wants it - it is in newspapers, on television, and on many websites. Here in Boulder, people who cannot read have access to volunteers who will read to them; there are multiple stations set up around the city and county for people to either hand-in their ballots in person, to drop them into a lock-box, to go to a polling place, etc.  Boulder County tries to make it easy for any registered voter to be able to vote.
  Please use your right to vote today.  It's something that our forefathers died for; and it's something that many people around the world cannot do themselves.  Vote.

No comments: