Thursday, May 28, 2015

Avalanche Danger (in May!?!?)

With all the rain down here at the base of the mountains, causing flooding out in the plains, and down in Texas, it seems surreal to realize that, on 28 May, there are Avalanche Warnings posted throughout the Rocky Mountains in Colorado.  While us folks below 6,000 feet have gotten rain, higher up, it's fallen as snow.  Arapahoe Basin, a ski resort, is staying open through 14 June, thanks to all the May snow.  And warnings are everywhere about the  High Avalanche Danger.  Loose, wet snow rolls, and takes hillsides with it in late spring.  It just seems strange to a kid raised mostly on the East coast of the United States...
  Nedi made his first catch of the day before 6 a.m. - he caught a young wren and brought it into the bath tub, to play with.  Of course, it kept flying out of the tub, and he'd catch it and take it back.  I caught it, and it fit easily inside of my left hand.  I took it out into the back yard, and examined it - nothing broken, no tooth piercings, just scared - so I turned it loose.  Both Nedi and Lovey had been watching me closely - and it was the first time I've seen Lovey scale the six-and-a half foot high privacy fence.  She was up on the top in two bounds... but the little bird had already flown.  (Thank goodness!)
   While returning the rental car yesterday morning, I drove by two new apartment buildings on 28th Street (US 36) - and I realized that they had "Open" advertising banners on them.  I stopped by, and was very surprised when the construction crew chief walked me through both the one and two-bedroom sites.  I then called the company, and found out that it's at a price that I can afford, sharing the apartment with Beatrice.  Actually, the cost is less for both of us, it's closer to where Bea works, it's closer to the houses I care for, it includes a washer and dryer inside the unit, and once tenants, we'll get a free bus pass.  I've got all the paperwork for applying, and will be turning it in on Monday.  I really hope we get this apartment - it's in Boulder, it's inexpensive, I can have the cats, it's two blocks away from shopping, a block from bus stops and the balconies look over the Goose Creek Greenway.  I want this place!  Cross your fingers for our application to be approved!
 

2 comments:

Lisa I. said...

Good luck. Sounds like a nice place. I had to take a squirrel from my orange tabby this past weekend. She wasn't hurt, just scared and danced up my leg to get away from Ginger. Ginger wasn't happy, but I was!

BND said...

Thanks, Lisa! Hoping to get into Lumine.... And I have to take a live critter away from my kits about once a week - birds, mice, voles, chipmunks, bunnies, squirrels and snakes. They just have to follow that hunting instinct!