Thursday, May 7, 2015

Nightjar Rescue

It was dry when I arose at 5 this morning; but it began misting and drizzling at 5:20.  Our weather folks say that we may see snow on Sunday and Monday mornings.  The last couple of years snow has fallen on Mother's Day, like this Sunday.  We'll have to see.  I took the dogs out at 8 and 10 last night, then again, as soon as I go up this morning.  Pounce slept on top of me all night long - he'd been in my lap most of the afternoon, and then Tipsi moved in after Jeopardy! was over.  Tipsi slept on my clothes last night, and didn't bug Pounce.
   It's rather unnerving to be standing upright, scooping dry kibble out of a triple-layered bin, and having a dog leap up above your head while he's waiting for his food bowl.  Cooper does this every time he's fed, and also does the same at the door to go in and out - guess that's why his breed is named "Springer Spaniel"....  Lola just sits quietly, like a dark shadow, until your attention wanders to her.  At least Pounce and Tipsi meow to let me know about going out and wanting back in.  I'm the doorman for the four-legged furred ones in this home.
  I held a nightjar in my hands yesterday; the first time that I remember doing so.  It was just past dawn, the sun was rising, and the poor bird was under a plexi-glass arched walkway that was surrounded by windows.  It kept flying into the ceiling and windows, and I was afraid it would break its own neck.  It finally fell at my feet, and I quickly scooped it up with both hands.  I examined it's wings, and it's eyes looked bright, even though the constant smacking against the glass had caused it to lose a lot of smaller feathers.  I took it out into the open and released it.  It was amazing how good I felt as I watched that tiny body fly away.

No comments: