Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Broken Neck End of Dreamer's Faith

My final, I swear it, post regarding Dreamer's Faith, the $7,500 buy-back Chincoteague pony.  She was reported stolen on September 6 or 7, 2015.  A reward of over $2,300 was offered for information that helped catch the thieves and/or helped restore the pony to her rightful owners.  Her body was found on October 15,2015 inside the Carnival Grounds corral on Main Street.  Dr Charlie Cameron, DVM,  performed a necropsy on the filly's remains.   Her neck had been broken by a heavy blow.  As her body was found underneath a large limb, it is assumed that the branch fell, breaking her neck, and killing her instantly.  This has been extremely painful for members of the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company, and the members of the CVFC Pony Committee.  All of the fans of the ponies, and people who love them are understandably upset.
   Procedures have been implemented for nose-counts at each feeding time, and fence lines on Chincoteague will be walked daily.  No one wants this tragic accident to happen again.  And, having loved, and worked with horses for my entire life, I can honestly tell you that there are things that any conscientious owner can never prepare for.  Death is a natural occurrence, no matter how much we humans cry and fuss over it.
   I will treasure my photos of Dreamer's Faith, and I will always thank the greater being for sharing her with us, even if it was for a short time...

1 comment:

Lisa I. said...

I am so sad to hear this and sorry for the whole community. Sending our condolences in the loss of this little one.