Sunday, October 4, 2015

Sleep and Flooding

I feel such love for my two furry kids - Last night was the first time in three weeks that I was able to sleep all night in my own bed, with Lovey and Nedi.  It was chilly, grey and rainy yesterday, and my clients drove me home after their return, so I spent most of yesterday afternoon doing laundry and straightening up.  (Beatrice was working.)  I also watched several college football games.  The CU Buffs and Oregon Ducks game was scheduled to kick-off at 8 p.m., but we were having a lot of lightning, so it was delayed.  I turned out my reading light around 11, hoping to get a good sleep.  Lovey and Nedi generally awaken me between 5 and 6 every morning, so I didn't really think that I'd be able to "sleep in."  I had nothing to do this morning, so I was really hoping to be able to sleep in, but I figured the kits would want me to get up and feed them before 6:30, as usual.  I woke up several times, noted it was grey and depressing outside, and went back to sleep.  When I finally looked at my clock, it was a few minutes after 9...  and I was amazed.
   Still no word about the fate of Dreamer's Faith, the stolen Chincoteague weanling filly.  This is entering the fifth week since she was removed from the Main Street Carnival grounds on Chincoteague Island, Virginia. She has a very nice 15 freeze brand on her left hip - unless it's been over-branded -and her coat pattern is very distinctive.  Please keep your eyes open for this gorgeous filly - she is greatly missed!
   Speaking of Chincoteague, with the flooding rains being pulled in from Hurricane Joaquin, along with the fall neap tides, full moon and eclipse, parts of the Chincoteague Causeway and some low-lying streets on Chincoteague are under water.  The beach at Assateague is closed to traffic and swimming due to a strong rip tide and dangerous currents.
   On the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, all gates in the fences have been blocked open, so that if there is flooding, the stallions can take the mares and foals up onto higher ground for safety.  There are quite a few hilly places on Assateague that were once tall sand dunes on the eastern shore of the island, but are now located in the center and on the western side of the island, thanks to natural build-up and erosion of a barrier island.  The stallions will takes their herds to higher ground to save their lives and health.  Once this flooding danger is over, the herds will be taken back to their usual compartments, and the gates will again be closed behind them.
   And I feel for South Carolina and their record flooding.  Back in September 2013, Boulder had a "500 year flood," and is still working on recovery.  I do not wish the same for any community or area.

No comments: