Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Odds and Ends

We're half-way through February in a new year, Thoroughbred foals are being born all over the country, horse racing enthusiasts are starting to talk about the Kentucky Derby and the Triple Crown in the United States, and the British Triple Crown in the United Kingdom.  I am looking forward to Saturday, the 20th, when Ziconic will make his racing debut.  Unlike his elder brother, Cozmic One, Ziconic seems to realize that racing, and going under the wire first, is the name of the game in his current life.  Cozmic One, the oldest son of Zenyatta (by Bernardini), has raced twice but not with his Mom's need to win.  In his first race, he finished last in a field of six; in his second race, he was seventh of nine contenders.  Cozmic One doesn't seem to be able to focus on his job.  Ziconic, the younger brother, by Tapit, seems to enjoy racing much more.  I'm looking forward to his race on Saturday.   Zenyatta, herself, is due some time in March with a second foal by War Front.  This foal is eagerly awaited, as her last foal (also by War Front) died from injuries in a paddock accident.  I hope her progeny can continue her winning ways.
   One of my four granddaughters, a pre-teen, has just won the National Cheerleading Team title with her squad.   She is certainly making her parents and grandparents proud.  I only wish my husband could be here to express his encouragement to her and the other participants.
   I can start collecting my retirement pay from working at Shands Teaching Hospital at the University of Florida in a few months.  They have given me the choice of a lump-sum payment, or a monthly stipend for the rest of my life.  The lump-sum payment is enticing, but I'd lose 30% of it due to federal taxes, and then there are state taxes, too.  I'm pretty sure I'll choose the monthly stipend over the lump-sum.
   I had to laugh this morning - I have on my calendar that, beginning tomorrow, I walk the DD dogs every morning for at least an hour.  Another woman is house-sitting, but she is recovering from a back and hip injury, so I'm to walk two of the dogs while she walks one.  I sent an e-mail to both the dog owners and to the house-sitter earlier today, asking for confirmation that the trip was still going to be taken, and stating the dates.  I also asked the house-sitter at what time she wished to walk the dogs each morning.  The house-sitter called me back, almost immediately, and said she'd visited the people and critters (3 dogs, 1 cat) yesterday, and that I had the dates wrong.  The family was returning on the 25th, not the 23rd...  I read her my three letters from the owner, which designated the dates each time - she looked her original contact notes and found she'd made a mistake - I was correct.  Then she asked if I could meet her to walk the dogs at 7 each morning, in order to avoid the middle school students.  I told her that I could, but that I would have to arrive later on the weekend days.  She asked why, and I told her the first buses that ran by my house on the weekend came by at 7:30 - there was an earlier one, but it heads east, while the dogs' home is west of me.  She was completely taken aback by the fact that I don't have a car.  She wanted to know how I got around, and I told her, by bus or by foot.  She was also amazed that I don't own a smart phone....
    I guess I live to the beat of a different drummer in more ways than one.

No comments: