Monday, February 8, 2016

Super Bowl 50

I like rough and tumble defensive (American) football games.  I liked Super Bowl 50.  I did not like the majority of the advertisements, but I liked a few.  Most of the people I spoke with today did not enjoy watching last night's championship game.  Most people wanted to see a high-scoring game with little defense from both teams.  A lot of people were disappointed.  I wasn't.  I loved watching the game.  Maybe I studied the game more than others have.  Maybe I know a little bit about the sweat and blood and pride on the playing field.  Maybe I know that a good defense is worth its' weight in gold, and a team with a good defense and a mediocre-to-good offense can beat almost any other team.  Maybe it's because I've studied the different defensive systems in use, and how they've changed over the years.  Maybe it's because I've always loved defensive players - the unsung heroes - more than the "glory" players, the quarterbacks and the receivers.
  I grew up loving Steve Spurrier, a quarterback, and Jack Youngblood, a defensive end.  Jack played for the Los Angeles Rams for 14 seasons at the left end of the defensive line.  He played in the Pro Bowl 7 times, and was voted All Pro 5 times.  He broke his leg in the 2nd quarter of  a play-off game against Dallas, had the leg taped up, and went on to help win the Dallas game, and the next play-off game, against Tampa Bay.  Then he suited up and went out and played in Super Bowl 14 against Terry Bradshaw and the Pittsburgh Steelers - still with a taped up broken leg.  That's tough.  The Steelers won that Super Bowl, but I'll never forget Jack Youngblood's playing and performance.  The man is just incredible.  And most defensive players have that type of grit and guts.  I love them.
   So my local team, the Denver Broncos, won the Super Bowl - the 50th Golden Anniversary edition - last night.  They defeated the Carolina Panthers with a score of 24 to 10.  The Most Valuable Player was awarded to Von Miller, outside linebacker.  During last night's game Von was credited with 6 tackles (including 2.5 sacks,causing losses of 27 yards), 2 quarterback hits, 2 forced fumbles (strip-sacks), and 1 defended pass.  All of the defensive players helped the team win the game, but Von Miller was outstanding.
  I wore my orange and blue proudly today.  (I'll write about the commercials tomorrow.)

No comments: