Sunday, April 17, 2016

Heavy Spring Snow; Creator Wins Arkansas Derby

Well, it started out as rain Friday morning; turned to snow Saturday morning, switched back to a snow-sleet-rain mix yesterday afternoon and evening, and became snow, once again.  The folks up the hill at NCAR, NOAA, and NWS say that Boulder has received 17.1 inches of snow as of 7 a.m. this morning.  That's not counting the rain that fell for 18 hours before the snow - and that's not counting the snow that is continuing to fall….  I've been out banging brooms against tree limbs and bushes, trying to keep the limbs from breaking.
   I took Donn's Touareg home to visit the cats this morning - and was very happy I did.  When I returned to Lynn's, I found that a very large tree limb had broken and was lying where the Touareg had been parked.  It would have easily taken out t he windshield, not to mention damaging the hood and motor….  Glad I took the VW home for a couple of hours!   Also, when I returned, the neighbor across the street was shoveling his walkway, and informed me that his power was off, as were two of the other neighbors'.  I have power at Lynn's - but I don't know if it's reserve from the solar power, or if we just weren't affected by the transformer blowing.
   Christine came home last night to shower and change clothes before leaving for her boyfriend's place again.  She asked me if I had the keys to the Lexus, and I told her that I hadn't seen them since I arrived.  she looked around, then went digging in her Mom's coat pockets and found the keys.  So she took the Lexus last night, and left the Prius.  But I'm really happy I took the car out of the drive to go home this morning.

    A grey colt sired by Tapit won the Arkansas Derby yesterday, but it wasn't Cupid, the betting favorite who is trained by Bob Baffert.  Steve Asmussen trained Creator, another grey son of Tapit into the winner's circle yesterday.  Gettysburg, the Pioneer of the Nile colt, blazed  the first mile's fractions.  Creator was last in the field of twelve, at one point almost 16 lengths behind the leaders.  But Creator ran from last up to first place, and won easily.  Suddenbreaking News and Whitmore, the two geldings in the race, finished second and third.  Creator was sent off at 11 to 1 in the betting.  Cupid, who had trailed Gettysburg through the first furious mile, tired and finished tenth in the field.  Eleven of the twelve starters finished, with Luna de Loco pulling up.

No comments: