Thursday, June 9, 2016

Sixty Years in a Few Photos...

Born in the back seat of a 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe

Dad was posted at NAS Oceana and delivered me on the way to the base hospital...

We spent our spare time on Chincoteague Island, Momma's home

Then we moved to Shamrock Road in Millington, Tennessee

From NAS Millington, we went to NAS Kingsville, Texas

I started riding at King's Ranch when I was four

Me, at four, in Kingsville

                            
Dad retired from the Navy when I turned 5, and we moved to Gainesville, Florida...

Where I became a Gator for life...

I also stayed true to my love of horses - this is Avalon, a Trakehner -Thoroughbred cross at a schooling show

But I always returned to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands each summer, and ended up meeting my husband on Chincoteague in 1995 after 34 years of running back and forth between Florida and Virginia.

Now I live in Boulder, Colorado - but the sands of the islands are still in my blood and my soul; I constantly yearn for the sounds of gulls, the tidal wash, the scent of marsh mud, and the wonderful smells of islands in the Atlantic....

I'm still short and chubby, but my hair is now down to my waist, and is very grey.  I've worn glasses since I was 11, and my freckles are making a spectacular come back...

No comments: