Sunday, August 28, 2016

Books, Glorious Books!

While on vacation, I began to re-read The Liveship Trilogy  by Robin Hobb.  I've been reading them slowly and absorbing a lot more nuances than I did on the first reading, and I've got about 15 pages left of Ship of Destiny.  I do have the first book of the next connected series ready to read - Dragon Keeper, which is the first book of four in The Rain Wilds Chronicles.  I can't wait to get pulled deep into this world created by Robin Hobb, aka Megan Lindholm, again...  But first, I am going to take a short break, and read the last two C.J. Cherryh Foreigner series books - both Tracker and the new Visitor - they are calling me like the wi'itikin on the cliffs.   I'm also keeping my eyes open for other new books by favorite authors...  In a way, I'm looking forward to ice and snow storms, so I can stay at home and read in warmth and comfort, with a cat on my lap, and one on the back of the chair...
   The "bundle" of services we get - telephone, computer and cable television - are paid monthly, by the bank, electronically.  Our charge suddenly increased by $24+ this month, so Beatrice went to the office, as she pays the "utility" bills.  They informed her she was behind in her payments, and, even though she disagreed with them, finally paid for two months of service then and there.  I showed her the paid receipt for that month, and for the previous month.  She went back to the office again, fit to be tied.  They refused to give her a refund - just told her she wouldn't have to pay in September...  So our finances are a little tight with three days left of the month.  We have plenty of cat food, kitty treats and kitty litter.  There is plenty of soda, juice and Gatorade in stock.  We have fruits and veggies, soup, and all sorts of canned and frozen foods and meals.  But we don't have any free cash - and we're (now) used to being to buy what we feel like eating on the spur of the moment...  Let's order a pizza...  I don't feel like cooking, let's go to Turley's, or Five Guys, or Glacier, or The Cork, or the Outback Grill....  It's seems extremely silly to be suddenly aware that we don't have any "throw away" money at the end of this month.  Of course, we'll have plenty next month...  But it's funny how that nibbles at your subconscious....

No comments: