Monday, September 26, 2016

Sigh - It's Really Fall

I guess I have to admit that fall, or autumn, is actually here.  I wore a sweater this morning when I walked Lola and Cooper, as the 38 degree morning felt a little chill.  Of course, the temperature is supposed to rise back up into the mid- to upper-70s this afternoon, but I definitely needed my sweater earlier.  There's a cloudless, light blue sky outside my window, and the birds and squirrels have been partaking of their nuts and seeds in abundance.  I'll be heading off to walk Rosie in an hour or so, and then I'll visit the public library on my way back - one of the Inter-library loan books I requested has arrived, and I have two weeks to consume it, before it must be returned.
   Yesterday, Beatrice and I wanted to get away from Boulder, so we drove over to the town of Longmont and played tourist.  We wandered through the Old Town area, and we both purchased books at Barbed Wire, a new and used shop.  I found a copy of Carolyn Keene's Dana Girl mysteries that is based on Chincoteague Island - The Haunted Lagoon - and added it to my collection.  I've had several copies of the book, and gave the last copy I had to my cousins, Nancy and Aleda, on Chincoteague, when Nancy turned 13...  A few years ago, Aleda wanted to know if I still had a copy, and I had to tell her that I'd the books to her family, back in the 1970s and hadn't seen them since.  She was able to find a copy in the Chincoteague Public Library.  The edition I purchased yesterday was printed in 1959....
   Bea and I also wandered around the "Old Town" residential areas, and had a wonderful time looking at the older houses and how the current owners have made small changes to fit in with the times.  We saw a magnificent brick house that had been built in 1899 - the original wood floors and woodwork around the windows and all doors and passageways was intact.  It was gorgeous.
   After several hours of looking at the old neighborhoods, we drove a bit down the road and visited Prospect New Town in Longmont.  It's a newer housing enclave that started out on an 80-acre tree farm.  It combines all sorts of architecture and housing, but it's a quiet community with mature trees, great landscaping, wide sidewalks, community areas and play grounds.  You can choose between starkly modernistic buildings or more traditional architecture.  There are condominiums, town houses, row houses, duplexes and large single-family homes.  Some of the buildings have businesses on the ground floor, with homes built above... It's a fascinating and eclectic place.

No comments: