Saturday, January 21, 2017

Women's March In Denver

My apartment-sharer, Beatrice, decided not to go to the Denver Women's March last night. Originally the plan had been that she would go from Boulder with friends, then my sister and her son decided to go, and, even though I hate crowds, I decided to tag along.  When Bea decided not to go, I decided to sleep in this morning.  Nope - woke up alert and excited at 5 o'clock.  So did Bea.  We decided to drive down to a Denver Park and Ride and take the bus from there.
   It was an astonishing experience. I had taken part in several marches and protests in the 1970s and early '80s, but haven't done so since. When we arrived at Civic Park today, there were thousands of people there before us - it's now estimated that more than 200,000 people showed up and marched.  There were signs, there were shirts, there were lots of pussyhats, and there were chants.  It was great to feel  like a member of a group striving for a particular purpose.  A lot of my friends, and a lot of my clients, and their families participated today.  And we were peaceful.
    According to the Denver Police Department, three men were arrested during today's March - one for assaulting a peace officer, one for carrying and displaying an illegal knife, and one for an out-standing warrant.   I think we made our point.
    As an aside, according to reports in The Washington Post, by 1 pm today, there had been more than 490,000 riders on the Metro subway system.  I t is assumed that most of those folks were attending the Women's March there in Washington, DC.  At 1 p.m. yesterday, there had been less than 190,000 rides on the Metro for the President's Inauguration...

     Here are a few photos - the ones from heights were not taken by me...







No comments: