Monday, January 29, 2018

Oh Dear, I Upset a New Neighbor

I moved into the last available apartment in my building on 3 July 2015.  I was informed there was one assigned parking spot for each apartment, and mine was number 50.  There are 30 covered parking spaces, where folks park their cars behind an apartment on the first (ground) floor and under a second floor apartment.  I have a second floor apartment, and I thought my parking spot would be one of the four underneath it.  I was wrong.  My spot is uncovered, in the middle of the parking lot, but at least I can see it from my balcony.
  The only trouble is that the architects, or planners, have the parking lot sloping back to the middle of the lot.  That means that all the rain and all the snow melt runs right into those seven spots, including mine.  And during the winter, when we have temperatures and sun enough to melt snow, all the water flows to those parking spots.  And then the temperature drops to the teens and twenties during the night, and all that standing water turns to - you guessed it - ICE.
   Last Sunday, a week ago, we had 8 inches of snow fall on top of freezing rain.  On Monday, one of the neighbors moved out - I helped him load a few things into his truck, and he had a covered parking spot.  Usually, it takes the management company one to two weeks to clean and rehabilitate an empty apartment, so I asked the building manager if I could park in John's old spot until a new tenant moved in.  Andy, the manager, said, Sure! So, starting Monday night, a week ago, I began using the covered parking spot.  I spoke with Andy this past Friday, and he didn't say anything about a new tenant in John's apartment. So I continued to park there...
   Saturday evening, as I left to feed Pip and Squeak, I found an irate note taped to the driver's window of my borrowed car.   The paper itself was about 6 inches square - but clear packing tape had been used to attach it to the window, and the tape covered the window from top to bottom and side to side. - I guess that was the best way for the writer to express his/her outrage. -  The note read: This is my parking spot.  Because you have been parked here, I have had to move in at night parking further away and crossing ice.  Moving in was not a happy experience.  So thank you very much! -  It was written in a magenta marker, and was not signed.  It took quite an effort to remove the frozen tape from the window....
   However, I have parked in my assigned spot ever since.  I also immediately wrote an apology note, which I had planned on placing on the car which next parked in spot 59, John's covered spot.  No car has yet parked in that space...  I am sincerely sorry that I made the new tenant's move harder than necessary - but it bothers me that I haven't been able to apologize, either.  -  There has been a new addition to the parking lot; a burnt orange car with an equipment pod on the top, but it might belong to someone visiting friends....
   In any event, I am sorry, but I wish I could express it to the new tenant...   *** sigh ***

No comments: