Wednesday, July 30, 2008

2008 Pony Swim

Were I on the island, I'd have been down at Memorial Park since about 4:30 this morning - I'd want a good view of the Pony Swim, and would be covered in insect repellant, wearing a hat for shade, and carrying a cooler with plenty of water and Gatorade in it. To use an island term, a lot of folks "pitchpole" awaiting the swim - because they aren't hydrated, they're over-excited, and they over do it in the sweltering heat and humidity. Unfortunately, most people visiting for the Pony Swim will be rude, crude and obnoxious - not that they see themselves that way. 

Pony Penning used to bring out the best in people - both the visitors and the natives. People without children would hold other peoples' children up in the air, so they could get a good view. Natives would move aside so the tourists could have a better spot to see all the action from. I remember being given horseback rides by most of the round-up men when I was a child.  At that point in time, there were several pony farms on the island, including the Beebe's - I particularly enjoyed Burton's Pony Farm, where the ponies who had portrayed Misty, the Phantom, and the Pied Piper in the movie Misty were living. I was very proud to be allowed to ride all three - and to then be able to go ride Misty and Stormy (since the Beebe's are cousins).

As it is, I'm sitting in an air-conditioned home in Colorado. I've already walked my 5 miles, with a Samoyed and a German short-hair pointer. The sunrise was spectacular - and I think the four cats were very pleased to have the dogs removed from the house for a short time.  Abby is a rare female orange tabby, Shadow is a black long-hair, and Boris and Natasha are Bengalese Spangles. I did have to laugh last night, when I turned away from the computer screen and saw Kohlbi, the Sammie, lying with his head pillowed on Boris.

Soon on my way to see my kits, and stop in and check on Suki and Boo. My niece was able to score a back-packing permit in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, and my sister and brother-in-law are up in the mountains with her for 3 days....  The family from this house will return Saturday afternoon, and I'll be able to spend all of Sunday at home with my kits.  Lovey and Banichi - I love you and miss you!!!

No comments: