Monday, July 21, 2008

Hot and Hotter

Yuck!  I hate the heat! Especially with temps in the 90s and lower 100s, no air conditioning, and being away from home.  Complain, complain, complain...  I'm with Eliphalet Pease, the bantam rooster, his flock of hens (including Plain Jane), Hila, a puppy, and organic gardens and plants galore.

Saturday had been the hottest day of the year, and then yesterday topped it.  My brother-in-law collapsed from heat prostration (we think) on Saturday, and spent several hours in Urgent Care.
The dogs, my cats, and the chickens have been consuming loads of water (good for them), as have I.  I've been watering the gardens and plants from 10 p.m. until midnight, smothered in OFF!  

Hopefully I'll be able to return to my usual haunts within the next 24 to 48 hours - and then I'll have to get ready for 8 nights in Brighton - but no puppy to have to take out every three hours! And I'll be able to visit my kits almost all day long, and get some work done at home!  Yippee!

The above makes it sound like I don't enjoy my house- and pet-sitting.  Please don't get the wrong idea - I do like it and enjoy it. However, I usually schedule myself so I work about 2 weeks away from home at night, and then two weeks at home (or 1 week away, 1 week at home) each month. In July, I've only spent 4 nights in my own bed, with possibly 3 or 4 more before heading for Brighton. I love the critters - I love helping people "get away" for a few days - but I also love my kits and my small home.

No comments: