Saturday, March 21, 2009

Apples and a Buck

It was 32 here this morning; 35 when Brandi and I took our morning walk, and it's supposed to reach 72 by this afternoon. Walking through Brandi's neighborhood this morning, on the way to the bus stop, I was delighted to realize that every yard I passed had at least two mule deer grazing in it.... they are fun to watch. The trees were full of birds singing, and the charcoal grey and black cat that lives in an abandoned lot came out to greet me.

All the mule deer reminded me of one summer or early fall when I was house-sitting for my sister. I was awakened in the middle of the night by a knocking on the rear sliding glass door; the "knocking" was irregular and seemed to come from varied heights on the door. Both dogs were sound asleep, so I decided the noise was something that they were used to hearing. I tip-toed out to the dining room, and had to giggle when I realized the "knocking" was coming from the antlers of a big buck, who was greedily gobbling apples that had fallen from the tree and onto the patio. He was so intent on his goodies, that he never once took notice of me, staring at him through the glass.

The kits and Brandi are enjoying the continued warm and dry weather. Lovey is chasing birds; Banichi is chasing squirrels; Brandi is lying in the sun and soaking up vitamins A and D. Little birds are flocking to the feeders and the squirrels are chasing one another onto and off of their feeders chairs. We're still waiting to see exactly what the weather will do - we might just get a trace of rain and snow on Monday and Tuesday, or we could get a heavy wet snowfall. I want the heavy wet snowfall - the back yard isn't quite as bad as the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, but it's getting that way! Here's to wishing for a big snow storm to begin on Monday night!!!

No comments: