Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Spring!

It's cloudy out this morning, and 46 degrees. We're expected to reach the 70s through Sunday, and then ... then, maybe, we'll get some rain and/or snow on Monday and Tuesday when the highs will be in the mid-40s (our normal high for this time of year). The kits had a bit of a scare this morning: apparently there is a small dog staying intermittently next door. Banichi and Lovey came roaring back inside this morning, with fur totally bushed; when I looked out, there was a small black dog on our patio. It also chased the squirrels around while I was watching.

I'll walk the Irish kids this morning and head over to Brandi's this evening. I don't have internet access at Brandi's so don't expect a lot of writing or e-mails from me - I'll only have access when I visit my kits here at home over the weekend. But it will be grand weather to stay with Brandi - and she is such a lovable dog (and she knows me well enough to cadge extra treats with just a sigh and a wrinkle of her eyebrows). Not much else going on out here... ex-CU professor Ward Churchill still has not taken the stand in his own defense in his civil suit against CU for unlawful firing; several professors from around the US and Canada have testified against him, and several have testified for him. It all boils down to plagiarism and falsification of sources charges: he claims he lost some of his notes for his sources and that he is a victim of a conspiracy that was headed by the previous Governor; colleagues at CU state (and have shown) that he copied sections of his books, word for word from other researchers' papers and that source citations did not/do not exist.... I find him an interesting man, but I believe that CU was correct in his firing.

At 5:44 this morning (MDST) Spring officially arrived with the vernal equinox - one of two days each year when light and darkness are in equal proportions. Today is also World Storytelling Day (in the northern hemisphere) and World Citizen Day. On this day, the Persian New Year (Nowruz) begins.

No comments: