Monday, March 30, 2009

It's Snowing!

Yesterday evening, when I drew the curtains, I was looking at a few patches of snow on the ground and a lot of wet dirt. This morning, I awoke to another light coating of snow over everything in sight. I managed to get in about 4 miles of my walk before my knee became too unhappy with me, during which time the light snowflakes had turned into grapple... it was like being bombarded with teeny styrofoam pellets. We're expecting two more days, or occasions, of snow by Saturday - so after being dry, we're now getting a little soggy. Believe me, I'm not complaining!

When I returned from my walk this morning, I filled the critter feeders outside, and let the two kits go out and play. Lovey had enjoyed herself in the mud yesterday afternoon and evening, as my shirt will attest, while Banichi confined himself to prowling the patios. Today, they both ran out, felt the snow hitting them, and ran right back inside. I don't blame them - they have a fantastic "ring-side seat" for watching the antics of the birds and squirrels. The squirrels went through a pound of nuts yesterday, and then a daring youngster climbed to the balcony above mine and dropped down to land on the sunflower seed house-shaped feeder. He was merrily stuffing himself when the flicker came to feed - they surprised each other - and the squirrel dropped to the ground, while the bird flew away.

It will soon be time for the Kentucky Derby, which will be run on May 2nd. NBC has been touting the fact that they will be covering the Derby this year - I just hope that Al Michaels is not one of the main hosts, because he makes me crazy when talking about horses ; everything, no matter the age or actual sex of the horse, is an "it." I'm hoping we'll get to see a lot of Tom Hammond as the host, instead. The Santa Anita Derby will be run next Saturday and will be televised on NBC. The reason I know this is because I became tired of March Madness on the TV and spent Saturday and Sunday afternoon watching Tiger Woods make his come-back win after having his left knee re-constructed. It was thrilling and was very enjoyable - I hadn't sat down and watched a couple of days of golf in several years - and I liked it!

No comments: