Sunday, March 1, 2009

March Arrives like a Lamb

It's 28 degrees outside; skies were overcast obscuring the sunrise, and still are. But we're supposed to achieve highs in the 60s today, 70s on Monday and Tuesday, and 60s for the rest of the week... Our average highs for this week normally are 45... Global warming? And last month was the driest February on record in our part of the state; but the snow pack (from which we derive our summer water supply) is currently "average." A few early birds have visited the feeders this morning, but the patio is now deserted, except for Lovey and Banichi. The neighbor one door down, who has the Shar Pei, has begun tying him out on the patio in good weather - with plenty of water, food, and an over-stuffed bed. What is fun to watch is my kits approaching him and trying to decide whether to be friendly or not. The dog was raised with cats and likes them - but Lovey and Banichi are not quite sure of him (yet).

I watched Ladyhawke and Blazing Saddles last night. Ladyhawke had been my husband's favorite movie until he saw the first two parts of The Lord of the Rings series, so I wallowed in sentimentality and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Then I saw that Blazing Saddles was going to show on an Encore channel, and I watched that a laughed heartily. I hadn't seen BS in its' entirety since I first saw it in the theatre in 1974. I have to admit I now understand a lot of references more fully, and laughed all the harder for it. Then the kits and I curled up in bed with a good book about the reign of Edward II....

I have found a new application (new to me, that is) on Facebook that I truly enjoy. It's called Eastern Shore Gifts, and one can send one's friends things intrinsic to the Shore: a bushel of Blue Crabs, some steamed nick clams with condiments, a helping of hot Wachapreague Carnival fries, a tub of Tammy and Johnnie's fried chicken, a sunset cruise from Onancock, Pony Tales salt water taffy, and (even) your own pony.... This application makes me smile on a daily basis, for which I am thankful. I sent a friend in CT some nick clams and she asked if I was "a from here" or "a come here" - and I told her I was a 'Teaguer from way back in the 1650s, so I was definitely "a from here", even though I now live in Colorado.

No comments: