Saturday, March 7, 2009

Snow?

It's partly cloudy and 30 degrees outside - according to the TV, it's snowing to our west, northwest and southeast, but not here. Maybe that will come later in the day - I hope so. I (and the cats) had a very interrupted evening and night: a neighbor in the other building came home to find all of her removable items missing from her apartment, and, other than the manager, the only people with a key to her place were a couple who were "storing things" at her place. So she came over to the couple's apartment at least 6 times - banging on the door, cursing, and yelling about what had happened. The first time it happened, I poked my head out into the hall, saw who it was, and decided not to call the police - I don't know if any of my neighbors were as kind.

The squirrels were here quite early this morning - even before I went on my walk. So I filled up all the feeders before I started out, and then had to herd the kits back inside. Banichi is outside doing his slow-motion squirrel chasing, and Lovey has camped out underneath the sunflower feeder, in hopes of grabbing a finch. While walking the Irish kids yesterday, we were treated to the appearance of five mule deers - 2 bucks and 3 does. Rosie and Remy were very well behaved, all things considered... The deer walked across the road about 25 feet in front of us, and then we took a few more steps forward, the 8-point buck casually strolled back toward us, making sure he was protecting his group. Remy and Rosie limited themselves to 3 barks each at this very proud and strutting stag.

I made a big mistake yesterday - Kepler was not launched until last night, not the night previous. (I was confused by the way our local news team was reporting it - they said it had launched, so I did... Tsk, tsk... I need to double-check my facts!) ... Frozen Dead Man Days are going on up the Canyon in Nederland; today is the infamous Coffin Race. ... And this weekend, Leadville is holding it's annual Western Winter Carnival, including "ski-jouring", in which one person mounted on a horse pulls another person on a long water-ski rope (the other person is wearing snow skis) down a course and the skier is supposed to make jumps and go through an obstacle course, powered by the horse and rider before them... What can I say? It's colorful Colorado!

No comments: