Monday, March 2, 2009

Warmth - and New Neighbors

We are expecting record-breaking high temperatures today through Wednesday... records that were set between 90 and 125 years ago. Can I really blame this on Global Warming? I think not. While we are basking in unusual warmth and worrying about high winds and possible wildfires, both the northeast and the southeast parts of the country are dealing with heavy snow and cold weather... Sunrise was spectacular this morning - oranges, reds, pinks, and pearlescent blues and purples ; these colors were then reflected back by the cloud cover over the mountains. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

I had a migraine headache yesterday afternoon, the first in a while. I read a good article about migraines that describes the pain very well (if you're interested, it's at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29418328/ ), but unlike the writer, Imitrex didn't help me either. I still just lay and suffer and wish I could remove the parts of my head that hurt...

During the headache, new neighbors moved in... I had the curtains drawn, so I didn't see them - but Lovey and Banichi were in the window, keeping an eye on things; and the new neighbors and/or their friends kept coming out into the backyard and commenting on my kits. "Oh, look at all the cats next door!", "They look exactly alike! Maybe they're clones!", "They're probably from the same litter.", "They don't seem to be very friendly."
From hearing these comments, I could tell that these folks are not cat people, are not used to cats, and they didn't look closely at the kits - they just saw two grey cats. Lovey is much smaller and much darker than Banichi - the middle two inches of fur along her spine looks black, her ears and nose have brown fur, she has a triangular face and head, and her tiger stripes are very pronounced. Banichi is much larger and much lighter than Lovey - he is silver to blue-grey in color, and his tiger stripes are extremely faint; his nose and ear fur is almost the color of pewter, and he has a large round "apple" head.
Later in the evening, when I was up and about again, I let the kits run outside for a short time. They both came running back in with their tails brushed. After I shut the patio door I heard a small dog yap in the apartment next door....

No comments: