Sunday, April 19, 2009

Books and Converter Boxes

Bright sunshine and a cloudless sky are outside my window today. Yesterday was overcast and it rained for a good part of the day and evening; but during a break in the precipitation about 3, Nancy and Joel brought Remy and Rosie over to visit Suki and Boo. We had a 45 minute party in the backyard - chasing balls (the dogs), visiting the fox den, and just chatting. The drive to DIA was interesting - we ran through rain until about a mile from the airport, and then it was sleet. I took "the back way" home and missed a turn on 96th Street in Commerce City, and ended up in Brighton - but I only drove 5 minutes out of my way, and I got to see some areas I hadn't seen before. I've been captivated by the chickadees that are nesting in a knot-hole in the crab apple tree in Kathy's backyard; and the rhubarb is growing like mad.

Coal Creek Canyon, to the southwest of Denver, recorded 52 inches of snow over the past few days - Boulder had 6 inches of snow and over 4 inches of rain. Some ground is visible in my backyard, and the snow cover is less than an inch thick. A squirrel just came into the apartment, looking for food; Lovey and Banichi just looked at him... I gave him a handful of peanuts... (Feeding him inside does not constitute feeding the birds and squirrels on the patio! - If he chooses to come inside an open door, braving both cats, then he deserves a treat while sitting at the base of the cat tree!) This rain was just what was needed by the land - and, other than the initial snowfall, it was not bad enough to kill the newborn calves, lambs and foals out on the plains.

When I return to Kathy and Jim's today, I get to puzzle out how to connect their converter box to their TV, VCR and DVD player. Most of the local TV stations switched over to digital/HD TV broadcasting this past week, and as K & J don't have cable or satellite, they now receive only one PBS channel. It's a snap to connect the TV and the converter box - the fun part is trying to connect the DVD and VCR to them, also. I think I'm going to have to purchase some more AV connectors. - I finished Sandstorm, the first Sigma Series novel by James Rollins, and am about a third of the way through the second book, Map of Bones. I still have two more to go, and can't wait to open the covers of the second book again; they are addictive! Will be running back and forth between my apartment and the Snow house through Tuesday night - oh, joy....

No comments: