Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mist, sun, rain/snow

Daybreak was plain, but nice: the sun rose in a cloudless sky. I had been out walking for a while by that time, and had noted that there was frost on the windows and hoods of cars, and that my breath was distinctly visible. I was wearing a T, jeans, walking shoes and a sweater - luckily, the wind didn't blow, as it turned out it was 37 outside. Monty, the squirrel, came inside and had some peanuts yesterday - he appeared to be a little more restrained than usual, and I moved to see better and realized that Banichi was was crouching less than 6 inches from Monty's face - no wonder he was moving carefully! Lovey had a ball running in and out yesterday - she positively revelled in the wetness and in leaving her prints all over me and my clothes! Banichi went out about 3 times, always at a slow pace, and usually trotted back in (he really does not like wet weather of any kind). Both kits are on the patio soaking up the morning sun; the patio door is cracked open, and I have the curtains wide open. While it's nice out now, we're expecting a rain/snow mix tonight and tomorrow morning.

I was sorry to hear of the death of actress Bea Arthur yesterday. She passed away from cancer at the age of 86. Most younger folks remember her for her role in The Golden Girls on TV, but in my mind, she will always be Maude. The show made a lot of waves when it first debuted - an older, out-spoken, wry and dry woman making commentary on the traditional roles of women in society, women at home, in families, and - oh, my God! - comments on menopause and sex. I loved it. My husband and I were able to catch her at a staging of Mame! in Washington, DC in the late '90s - Bea Arthur was stupendous! (And so she should have been, as she won a Tony for her role in the same play on Broadway.) She will be missed.

After I re-program my PC for my photo downloads, I plan on (a) reading the paper, (b) enjoying the sun on the patio, and (c) starting some more digging on my son's family tree. On Monday, I'll be walking Rosie and Remy again, Monday through Friday. They are delightful companions - good natured, loving, happy, giving and sharing; I always have to smile when one of them turns and looks at me over their shoulder while we're out walking. It's as if they're saying, "Thank you! This is fun! Are you having fun, too?" and their tails are wagging the whole time... The last time we walked, a herd of mule deer decided to cross the road less than 5 feet in front of us - a group of about 12 does, a couple of yearlings, and two bucks... That was the only time the kids were tempted to bark; and it was the only time they lunged out on their leashes. I kept telling them, "Hey, you are bird dogs, not deer hounds!", but it didn't make much of an impression! - I hope you have a marvelous Sunday!

No comments: