Friday, April 24, 2009

Only in Colorado...

It's a beautiful morning - the sun is shining and there are a few clouds up high. Today is supposed to be very pleasant, with highs in the mid-70s and with clouds building up this afternoon ahead of the cold front. Once again, I was able to keep the window wide open all night. (I usually turn down the heat at night and crack the window for some fresh air at night, unless it's below 20 degrees out...) I had wild and crazy dreams last night, and at one time both of the kits pounced on me... I have no idea what I was doing to invite that! Squirrels and birds continue to visit the patio, looking for a meal - and one squirrel continues to come inside, so I feed him peanuts in the living room.

Yesterday, in Colorado Springs, a young pregnant woman was out taking her daily walk on a popular hiking trail just northwest of the town. About halfway through her walk, she saw a cinnamon-colored black bear alongside the creek. She paused, but continued walking, deciding to ignore the bear. The bear followed her, first at a walk, and then at a run; when the bear started running at her, the lady started jogging... She feels that the bear was just curious, and that if it had wanted to catch her, it could have done so easily, but it stayed about 10 feet behind her for about a half mile. As the trail passed by a road, the lady climbed the embankment, and stumbled out in front of a slow-moving car. The car struck her; the bear turned and left the vicinity; the driver stopped to check on the lady, but then left the scene before the police arrived. The woman and her child are fine; police are still looking for the driver who hit the lady; DoW trapped the bear, and having ascertained that it had also approached three other people in the past few days, the bear was killed. The woman who ran from the bear is very upset. She doesn't know whether her child will be a son or daughter, but the child's middle name will be Bear, in acknowledgement of the one who lost its life.

While talking on the phone with my friend Kathryn last night, I discovered that when the PC was infected earlier this week, one of my genealogy files disappeared. So I will be attempting to find and restore my son's family tree... I can find the tree on-line, on its web page, but my file with names, dates, etc has gone. Hopefully I will be able to recover it easily. - Have a good weekend, my friends!!

No comments: