Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thunder Snow!

I don't know if this should be considered an early or a late posting... It's close to 3 in the morning, and Max and Ginger are barking at the snow that's falling... The TV reported that Boulder got 3.6 inches in the afternoon, and that Canyon Blvd., which goes up to Nederland, was closed because vehicles couldn't get any traction in the snow and ice. Here in Longmont, we've only had a light dusting of snow, but it's started up again - which is why I'm awake. I'm not quite sure what's going on with Ginger and Max - I've taken care of them off and on for over 3 years... and I took care of their mother, as well. I know that they are getting elderly. This afternoon, before it snowed, Ginger tripped herself (or her legs gave out on her) on the way down the stairs to the yard; she rolled and bounced about half-way down and then didn't move when she hit the bottom. I ran down to check on her, and she seemed to be stunned, but otherwise was OK - no broken bones, no sore spots. After they came back inside, both dogs went to their beds in the laundry room and slept, instead of sitting with me or lying in front of the fireplace... I do realize that they miss their owner, and want her back - but they snubbed me quite well today! Luckily Vickie is due back today - and I'll be able to sleep with my kits tonight.

Denver was treated to a wonderful phenomenon called "Thunder Snow" in the afternoon - first the clouds drew in, then they got rain, then thunder accompanied by falling snow - all just in time for the evening rush hour. I'm definitely happy I don't commute to Denver! Now, don't get me wrong - a lot of the drive is pretty scenic, but then it turns into what could be nearly any metropolitan area around a big city - like Washington, DC. There are a few trees and bushes and teeny spots of grass, but otherwise, it's all asphalt, concrete and metal. Yuck. I guess you can tell that I'm not impressed by that type of appearance - I keep finding that I really am a country girl! Hopefully I'll blog more at a later time today... the dogs have gotten quiet, so I'll try to sleep again.

No comments: