Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cats, Dogs & Kennedys

I took the test my therapist asked me to take yesterday - I never turned on the computer, and it didn't bother me, so I am not addicted to PCs and the internet. How nice! I consider my machine here to be a tool - and I do not feel the need to check it constantly for messages and breaking news. - It's gorgeous morning, it's cool (55) outside, and the sun is shining. Lovey is ensconced upon my bosom, and Banichi has just poked his head in from the backyard. A squirrel is giving someone or something a piece of it's mind on the back fence - and I miss the sound of birdsong from my (missing) feeders. The red kids were a little put out with me yesterday, because they didn't get to run loose in Kathy and Jim's backyard at the end of our walk. It was irrigation day, and there wasn't a square yard of grass that wasn't being watered; since I didn't feel like getting drenched by the sprinklers, I just added another 20-minute loop to our morning walk. Rosie and Remy looked mournfully at me for the remainder of that walk, even when they were meeting Buck, a new to the neighborhood Boxer-Great Dane cross. I still feel kind of guilty when I remember their stares; at least they can run at K & J's this morning....

I do feel a sense of loss with the death of Teddy Kennedy last night. It might be nostalgia, it might be old family memories (the first time I can remember seeing my Dad cry was when JFK was assassinated), and, it might be due to some of the reporting on TV about "the end of an era." All I know is I cried when JFK was killed, I cried when Bobby was killed, I cried when Martin was killed, I was stunned when John, Jr.s plane crashed, and I cried last night when I heard of Teddy's death. I guess, that for me, it is the end of an era - no more big name Kennedys in the Senate or in high places in the US government. ... I read a great deal yesterday, did some laundry, and cleaned a bit. The kits were ecstatic that I was at home, had time to play with them and cuddle when they wanted, and that I wasn't in front of the monitor or at the keyboard. Classes have resumed at CU, and the management at the local Safeway once again did not allow for the amount of students that would be shopping - there are few cashiers, lots of long lines, and a lot of empty shelves. The nightshift stockers have been putting in 2 extra hours each shift, and still can't keep up with the demands of the students and management. ... I have finished all of my library books, and have read 3 of the 4 new books I purchased. I suppose it's time for me to return to the library and see if I can discover any new books, or old books, to read.

No comments: