Monday, April 19, 2010

Lovey, the Explorer

I'm back on Topaz, with Ooch in my lap. Lovey and I returned home yesterday evening, but had a restless night; we both woke up several times, thinking we heard Banichi talking to us and playing. Lovey went out and played in the backyard at Kathy and Jim's yesterday - I kept her away from the garden and Banichi's grave - and when she discovered the (now dry) irrigation ditch, she ran at full speed up and down the length of it several times. The fox den intrigued her, but she did not approach it; and she was unimpressed by the seasonal creek chuckling away beside the back fence. I'll post photos for the blog when I return home later today, and have access to my prints.
She Be Wild, the 2-year-old (now 3) champion filly, was pointed at the Kentucky Oaks, but broke her pastern while jogging on the track. She will be able to race again, but the Oaks (and the Filly Triple Crown) are definitely out of the picture. Tiz Chrome, a son of Tiznow, shattered his left fore sesamoid when changing leads at Churchill Downs yesterday in a morning workout, and had to be put down. Several Kentucky Derby contenders have also had sprains, splints, and fractures and have been scratched from the starting list. It's hard to believe that the Derby is only 13 days away....

No comments: