Friday, April 30, 2010

Blind Luck by a Nostril

Blind Luck was the 6 to 5 favorite at the beginning of the Kentucky Oaks today. She was running in last place for a good part of the mile and one-eighth; then she exploded and won the race by a nostril over Evening Jewel. It was a thrilling race, worthy of the Oaks history. My other two picks, Beautician and Amen Hallelujah finished in fourth and sixth places. Blind Luck is a daughter of Pollard's Vision (her name tickles me because her sire was named after Seabiscuit's jockey, Red Pollard, who rode, illegally, while sightless in one eye). Rachel Alexandra, last year's three-year-old filly and Horse of the Year, raced today; she was defeated, and has yet to rise to the heights of my current favorite mare, Zenyatta (who is undefeated).
And Lovey decided to live dangerously this afternoon. I received a phone call around noon, and had the back door open at the time. Aiko, Yoshi and Lovey were out playing in the backyard. After I finished my call, I realized that (a) I couldn't see Lovey and (b) I couldn't hear her either. So I stepped out and walked the perimeter, calling her name. I was shocked when she appeared, by climbing the cottonwood at the Rs house, and hopping the fence back into Yoshi and Aiko's yard. I guess it was a good thing that I tired out both Rosie and Remy on our morning excursion!

No comments: