Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oaks and Derby

Devil May Care will run against the boys in Saturday's Kentucky Derby. In Friday's Kentucky Oaks, there will be 14 contestants, barring scratches. I've looked at photos of the fillies, and read over their pedigrees and race histories - and found that I like three of the girls. Breaking from the number 5 post is Blind Luck, a chestnut filly; from number 6 is Beautician, a grey; and from number 13 is Amen Hallelujah, a dark bay/brown girl. They all carry 121 pounds, and will race a mile and one-eighth (9 furlongs). And it looks like there will be a full starting gate of 20 for the Derby; gate positions will be drawn today.
Lovey and I huddled and cuddled for 12 hours when I returned home yesterday. She is currently sprawled on the edge of the patio, soaking up sunshine. It's predicted that we'll hit the mid-70s today, but a front will bring in rain and cooler temperatures (50s) through Sunday. I'm out to walk the Rs shortly, and then I'll come back home, pack up and go back to Aiko and Yoshi's, with Lovey. I spent yesterday evening doing genealogy research on the web, with Lovey in my lap, after we watched NCIS. I was able to find several additional relatives and relevant dates, so I was pleased with the time spent.

No comments: