Thursday, April 29, 2010

Snow!?!

The weather folks said that it would be cooler and rainy. Lovey woke me up at 6 a.m. to a view of snow falling on the patio and the skylights. And since it was a glorious 76 degrees yesterday when Lovey and I journeyed here, I forgot something important - like a sweater or a coat. The snow stopped by 9, and I took the Rs out walking at 10:45. We stayed on the sidewalks and paved street and met 6 new dog buddies, and the Rs never barked once. The only time they pulled was when a doe jumped a fence in front of us, less than 4 feet away, and then took off across an open lot. Lovey has been having a ball exploring the house - all three floors - and looking out windows and French doors. I took the little guys, Yoshi and Aiko, out for a walk around the block and then, since all the snow had melted, I let the boys and Lovey go out in the back yard. Aiko is currently snoring on his inhalations and squeaking on his exhalations, and Lovey finds this extremely intriguing.
Lovey pretty much ignores both Aiko and Yoshi. Aiko stuck his face in Lovey's when she arrived and Lovey gave a very small hiss. Aiko whimpered and neither he nor Yoshi have approached Lovey closer than 3 feet since then. - I have to take that back. This morning, Lovey was draped around my neck and I had Yoshi and Aiko sleeping on both sides of my legs. But I'm not sure the boys were aware of her presence; she knew they were there. I was also surprised to find that the tropical fish don't interest her at all - she took a glance at them and then ignored them.
Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky. The Bravo TV network will carry live coverage of the Kentucky Oaks tomorrow from 5 to 6 p.m., EDT. It still appears that all 14 fillies entered will be in the starting gate. The Oaks post time is 5:45. Saturday, ESPN will broadcast the morning and pre-Derby races; NBC will pick up coverage at 4 p.m. EDT and follow through until 7 p.m. The Derby's post time is 6:24. Nineteen colts and one filly will compete in "The Run for the Roses"; Devil May Care will break from the number 11 post position, and carry 123 pounds to the colts' 126 pounds, over the mile and a quarter. Who do I like in the Derby? Well, first, I have to root for the girl, Devil May Care (post 11). And then I like three colts - just because of their bloodlines: Super Saver, a dark bay, by Maria's Mon out of Supercharger, by AP Indy, breaking from post 4; American Lion, a brown bay, by Tiznow out of Storm Tide, by Storm Cat, breaking from post 7; and Mission Impazible, a blue roan or grey, by Unbridled's Song out of La Paz, by Hold Your Peace. ... I have no idea who will win either race, but from yesterday's and today's blog, you know my choices.

No comments: