Monday, May 16, 2011

Coyote Sighting

I got to view the "mangy" coyote yesterday evening. I was standing in Kathy's solarium, on my way to walk and spend time with Rosie and Remy, when the coyote trotted by, heading east on Topaz. It was moving easily, about a foot away from the pavement and on the grass verge. It was 6:30 in the evening. Wow. Luckily, we have had no recent loses of pets. I do know that both Alexy's cats and Lynn's cats really want to go outside. I feel bad, telling them, "No," but, having seen Susssie's remains, I do not feel bad. It's quite the conundrum. But I'd rather they survive and be mad at me, than become prey.
My kits have been extremely loving when I've been home. Even though the patio door is open, Nedi is in my lap, having his head, chin and neck scratched. (I'm typing with only my right hand...) Saturday, when I was ready to return to Lynn's house, I couldn't find Lovey. She didn't come when called, and she was not in the back yard. I got Nedi inside and went in search of the girl. I went all over the Millennium Harvest House property, calling her. Then I went three blocks along the Boulder Creek Path. I began looking for road-kill. Lovey was sitting on the patio of apartment A-101, on the west side of the building. Her nose was touching the sliding patio door, and she was being stared back at by - her twin. Well, the inside cat has a different stripe pattern, but it's a brown tabby, and it does look a lot like Lovey. I scooped my girl up and brought her back inside, even though she was not happy with me.
Horses.... This weekend, the Black Eyed Susan Stakes and the Preakness will be run. Pimlico will allow only 14 runners in the Preakness, and, at the moment, there are 19 owners who want to run their horses. It will, once again, be a matter of who has won how much, and whether or not was a "graded" race. There are only 7 entries in the filly division - the Black Eyed Susan Stakes, to be run Friday afternoon. None of the fillies who ran in the Kentucky Oaks are following up with a run in the Black Eyed Susan. My personal pick for the Black Eyed Susan is a Williston, Florida-based filly named Wyomia. She's been made the morning-line betting favorite at 9 to 5 odds.
$250,000 Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (gr. II, Race 10, 4:46 p.m.) 3-Year-Old Fillies, 1 1/8 Miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer, ML Odds
1. Royal Delta (KY), J Lezcano, 116, W I Mott, 3/1
2. Hot Summer (VA), R A Dominguez, 122, D Fawkes, 5/2
3. Coax Liberty (KY), G K Gomez, 116, J L Lawrence II, 8/1
4. Wyomia (KY), J R Leparoux, 122, C L Garrison, 9/5
5. Buster's Ready (VA), J R Velazquez, 116, T A Pletcher, 8/1
6. Love Theway Youare (KY), J Rosario, 116, M K Cho, 15/1
7. Art of the Hunt (MD), no rider, 116, F P Campitelli, 20/1

** And I truly am not ignoring all of the suffering that is currently occurring in the Midwest and the South. All I can do is commiserate with all of the losses the people have suffered, and/or are suffering. The terrible devastations of the tornadoes, and the horrors of flooding, are something that no one deserves. I feel most for the folks who know they are being flooded out to "protect" others from flooding. I hope these people will be recompensed over and above what they will lose. **

No comments: