Monday, May 2, 2011

A Monday in May

I'm at home, the patio door is open, the sun is shining, and I just saw Larry Gatlin (of the Gatlin Brothers) on TV, and felt like I had been transported back in time. The "big news" for today is that Al-Qaida leader Osama Bin Laden was killed in a Navy SEALS assault on a compound in Pakistan. He reportedly was shot through the left eye, and his body has already been buried at sea (as Islamic belief is that a person must be buried within 24 hours of their death). The Navy folks took DNA samples. This is, indeed, good news. But I want the DNA proof. - And will there be retaliatory strikes against innocent people and nations?
> The Kentucky Derby weekend is closing fast. At the moment, it looks like there will be 8 entries in the Kentucky Oaks, the Run for the Lillies, on Friday, May 6. My sentimental picks are Daisy Devine (due to her name and the fact that she sold for only $5500) and Zazu. It still looks like there will be a full field of 20 on Saturday for the Derby, but only two of the colts who competed in the Breeders Cup 2-Year-Old race will be at Churchill Downs. One is Uncle Mo, the other is Stay Thirsty. My favorite is still Toby's Corner, from Alachua, Florida; I'm also looking at Pants on Fire, who will have a female jockey.
> My kits have been drenching me in love since my return home last night. Lovey is constantly rubbing all over my face, and Nedi wants to have his neck scratched. It's definitely different from having two yellow Labs lick every exposed inch of my flesh (and my jeans, my sweater, etc)! We snuggled together and slept together all night - Lovey under the covers, and Nedi on top. - With the sun shining through my glass eastern wall, and banking off the concrete patio walls, it's quite nice. Even though the thermometer says it's 34 degrees outside. I'm off in a few minutes to walk Rosie and Remy... Hope you have a good week!

No comments: