Friday, May 6, 2011

Plum Pretty Wins Oaks

Before getting into the starting gate, the betting favorites at Churchill Downs were Joyful Victory, Zazu, and Kathmanblu. There was one jockey change, as Robby Albarado was unable to ride Bouquet Booth; John Velasquez took his mount. (Velasquez will also ride Albarado's mount Animal Kingdom in tomorrow's Derby.) Summer Soiree set the pace and led for 3/4 mile; then Plum Pretty, who was running easily, took over. St. John's River, who broke badly, came slipping through on the rail, and was steadily over-taking Plum Pretty. But there was the finish line. Plum Pretty won by a neck over St. John's River, while Zazu finished third. Joyful Victory was fighting her rider early in the race and finished fourth. Daisy Devine, after staying in the front flight of runners, finished eighth. Summer Soiree was tenth. Plum Pretty paid $14.60 to win; the perfecta paid $163.00; while the trifecta paid $831.60.
> Nineteen colts in the Kentucky Derby. One of the favorites (including mine) is stuck in the first post position - Archarcharch. It's been 25 years since Bill Shoemaker took Ferdinand from the one hole and won the Derby. That's an awfully long dry spell to try to ignore.
* If I were betting on looks alone, I would bet for: Archarcharch, Dialed In, Shackleford, and Twinspired.
* If I were betting on breeding only, I'd bet for: Archarcharch, Decisive Moment, Master Of Hounds, Soldat, and Pants On Fire.
* If I were at the track I would make my bets on (alphabetically): Master of Hounds, Midnight Interlude, Santiva, Soldat, and Stay Thirsty...
** I'll blog after the race has been run tomorrow, and you can see how poorly I've done.

No comments: