Friday, May 6, 2011

Run For the Lilacs Today

Thirteen fillies will contend to win the Kentucky Oaks today; the gate time is 5:45 EDT.
*Nine of the girls were bred in Kentucky, while Joyful Victory was bred in Ontario, Canada, Her Smile is from Virginia, Holy Heavens is a Florida-bred, and Plum Pretty is from Pennsylvania.
*The two chestnut girls are Lilacs And Lace and Holy Heavens. The three grey/roans are: Joyful Victory, Zazu, and Street Storm. The rest are bays or dark bay/browns.
*Zazu and Joyful Victory were foaled in February; Holy Heavens, St. John's River, and Lilacs And Lace arrived in April. The other eight fillies were born in March, so all are truly three years old.
*Summer Soiree is a descendant of *Forli, and as such, is special to me.
* Every single filly has at least two male ancestors who either won or placed in a Triple Crown race. Joyful Victory has a very impressive pedigree, with A.P. Indy, Unbridled, Icecapade, and Alydar as great-grandsires.
** I'm going to stick with my original three picks - Daisy Devine, Zazu, and St. John's River - plus I'll add Summer Soiree as my sentimental pick for today's race.
<^> NEWS ** Uncle Mo has been withdrawn from the Kentucky Derby, due to continuing gastro-intestinal problems. That means only 19 will start at Churchill Downs tomorrow, barring any other scratches.
*** I'll post my Derby picks after today's race is run, and I can celebrate a new 3-year-old Princess!

No comments: